Quilt Rags to Riches

A friend asked me to take an old, well-worn 80s comforter and make a quilt for her daughter’s engagement present. When the box arrived, it was worse than I thought. The fabric was not only threadbare, it was so faded I had to rip seams to find out what color it used to be. I found some solids and a blender fabric that complimented the focal fabric, and used clothing interfacing to stabilize the older fabric and make its hand more equal with the newer fabrics.

My design idea was sparked by the pattern of some subway tiles, but, I relied on my memory instead of sketching them. The tiles were rectangular and without a picture to jog my brain it turned out to be a math nightmare. So I settled on squares.  I practiced on a trial quilt, and I’m glad I did.
I found the perfect floral for the backing that tied in with the focal fabric and gave it an updated look.

20140905_183322

A free-motion quilted rose motif to match the backing fabric tied it all together perfectly.

20140904_143023

Here’s to many happy years together under their new quilt!

AnnaBethStanford

Red All Over Quilt

Do you ever get on a roll and one thing leads to another? That’s what’s been happening in the studio this week.   Saturday’s guild meeting was a jelly roll race, and I’ve had this luscious red batik jelly roll a friend bought for me a couple years ago. I love it so much I didn’t want to risk messing it up. (I know….)  I decided to take the plunge and use it for this project, with no idea how a monochromatic jelly roll quilt would even look.

First you have to sew all those strips together end-to-end. Very boring.  After trimming the seams I was left with a pile of bits that could not be wasted, so I had some fun and made wee 3-1/2 ” blocks….

redsquares

I used my wee blocks to spice things up a bit and add a row to the top for interest, and I’m in love with the result!

RedAllOver

Making an Art Quilt

I finally finished the quilt commissioned by a friend.  She had seen several art quilts and fell in love, then completely trusted me to just come up with something. I said yes, having no earthly idea what I was going to do. I broke through a lot of different fears during the process, and the quilt evolved and changed – just like I was evolving and changing artistically. I am amazed at the final product and humbled at the way God works through my hands and pops ideas into my head from nowhere.

It’s titled “Foundations”. The words at the roots represent a firm family foundation: faith, honor, integrity, trust, hope, passion, purpose. The flowers (children) springing up are the result of those roots, their ancestors (in the leaves) serving as a protective covering in the branches above.

Words stamped into the “ground.
Children grow under a cover of love.
Ancestors watch from among the leaves.

Quilted Postcards

I’ve been experimenting with quilted postcards.

I wanted to try Misty Fuse, and words printed on cotton sheets and ExtravOrganza, and a small postcard wasn’t as intimidating as a bigger project would be.
So, I accomplished several things in one go.

I used double-sided Pelltex by Pellon.  My postcard kept its shape and I like the feel of it – not flopsy.

Postcard #2 is a healthy reminder for myself.  You wouldn’t believe the acrobatics it took to get that shot – standing on one leg while trying to hold the camera steady at the right angle.  I tried the heavier needle with the Pelltex, but I didn’t like the way it perforated it. I zig-zagged around the words, and din’t like that either, but I think the holes add pizzazz.

I have now mailed several of these with those stick-on stamps, and all have arrives safely at their destinations. I made sure embellishments were fairly flat and sewn on well so nothing snags. The top postcard even did well with that pom pom in the flower center.

Photos On Fabric

I think I finally achieved the desired results with my pictures.  I just went ahead and printed them straight onto the fabric. I’ve done it before for labels, and when a couple of my online pals recommended trying it I looked into the permanency of the printer ink and tried it. These two came out particularly well. My biggest challenge is getting the images positioned in a light spot on the fabric. I want them to be subtle, but I don’t want to have to search the quilt for them, either.  (UPDATE: The quilt is now 9 years old, and the photos are as clear as ever.)